Handling Mental Health - India's Lock down

Lockdown is meant to prevent the spread of infection from one person to another, to protect ourselves and others. This means, not stepping out of the house except for buying necessities, reducing the number of trips outside, and ideally only a single, healthy family member making the trips when absolutely necessary. If there is anyone in the house who is very sick and may need to get medical help, you must be aware of the health facility nearest to you.

Handling Social isolation:

Staying at home can be quite nice for some time, but it can also be boring and restricting. Here are some ways to keep positive and cheerful.

1. Be busy. Have a regular schedule. Help in doing some of the work at home.

2. Distract yourself from negative emotions by listening to music, reading, watching an entertaining program on television. If you had old hobbies like painting, gardening, or stitching, go back to them. Rediscover your hobbies.

3. Eat well and drink plenty of fluids.

4. Be physically active. Do simple indoor exercises that will keep you fit and feeling fit. 5. Sharing is caring. Understand if someone around you needs advice, food, or other essentials. Be willing to share.

Handling emotional problems:

1. At times of anxiety, practice breathing slowly for a few minutes. Try and distance the thoughts that are making you anxious. Think of something calm and serene, and slow down your mind.

2. When feeling angry and irritated, calming your mind, counting back from 10 to 1, distracting yourself helps.

3. Even when feeling afraid, deal with it by asking yourself

a. What is under my control?
       b. Am I unnecessarily worrying about the worst thing that can happen?
       c. When I have been stressed in the past, how have I managed?
       d. What are the things I can do to help myself and be positive?

4. Feeling lonely or sad is also quite common. Stay connected with others. Communication
    can help you to connect with family and friends. Call up people whom you haven’t
    spoken to and surprise them. Discuss happy events, common interests, exchange
    cooking tips, share music

5. Do not shun or judge people with a COVID infection. While you need to maintain a physical distance and keep yourself safe to prevent such infection, remember they need care and concern. If you know someone who might have the infection, tell them about precautions, and how to get medical assistance, if required.

1 Like