Healthcare Infrastructure in INDA

Wish to initiate a discussion on past, present and future aspects of healthcare infrastructure in INDIA

1. Do we have a proper infrastructure to meet the needs of population ?
  2. Where we are lacking?
  3. What can be done in the future to improve and meet another situation like pandemic?

Share your openion and knowledge on this

2 Likes

Indeed we have a framed infrastructure. But when it comes to handling pandemics, it’s not only the infrastructure that plays a major role, the responsibility that each one of us hold. Awareness plays a major role in shaping up the health system which is why both private and public bodies should equally contribute to society. But as I see, more NGO’s are into the awareness mission.
Preventive care should be a compulsive segment in our infrastructure as like centres have to be developed and checkups and health routine has to be established for helping out people before a crisis emerges.

2 Likes

So what I feel is that we do have proper healthcare infrastructure but , only in tertiary area . Whereas when we look into the rural area we find a huge lack of proper infrastructure . Infact infrastructure is not just the structure of an organisation but also the kind of facilities that we provide . So in rural area even though we have primary health centers , they are not properly equipped or structured which leads to lack in quality of service provided . So I would suggest the government to put the health budget into the rural Healthcare sector than the urban sector which is now stable when compared to rural . Especially during this pandemic people in rural areas are not safe to go to PHC’s and avail their treatments. In this terrific scenario it is necessary to make sure the government funds are provided or concentrated more on PHS’s.

2 Likes

Healthcare is major challenge for India due to our increases population,this is one of the major reason for the challenge. People are having different healthcare needs. Healthcare should be accessible and affordable to achieve health for all. My opinion to improve Healthcare infrastructure are

1. To improve the government expenditure on healthcare to provide quality service to the people of the country on par with private hospitals. The reason why I think of this because when government spend on healthcare it doesn’t expect anything in return as profit or something, but private needs certain return on investment which might affect the Healthcare affordability.
  2. People who are interested in investing in healthcare can very well invest in existing delivery systems rather than spending money on building new , which ultimately increases the cost of Healthcare. We can better use of available infrastructure when required amount is present.
  3. I wish to see less spending on healthcare in terms of GDP , at the same time no compromise should be made in health of our citizen (i.e. Reaching the better heights in terms of health parameter). For this , individual Responsibility of people towards health should be promoted where there should be proper lifestyle and food habits which would minimize the chance of getting illness.
1 Like

Hi Roshina!
Talking or discussing about healthcare infrastructure it doesn’t involve only the building environment, it includes several other criteria like accessibility, technology, governance and organisational structure, staff structure ,medical equipment and so on.The main parameters of healthcare infrastructure are number of doctors per 1000 population, number of hospital beds per 10,000 population, number of medical colleges, number of hospitals and dispensaries these are improving slowly but gradually. Our government along with allopathy or modern medicine it accepts the AYUSH as a valid alternative medicine that everyone can approach. In fact, youth of India today they started adopting and practicing yoga and naturopathy as a form of preventive healthcare.
Now focusing on future of healthcare infrastructure, I would like to explain about two of my important points that I wish government to consider.
1.Government with the help of private sectors can establish specialized hospital for communicable diseases and testing centres in every district. Because at the very beginning stage of Covid 19 our Indian National Institute Of Virology was able to test only 25 samples per day, but government was good enough to handle this situation in upcoming phases like improving and developing several laboratories. In future we may face any kind of outbreak which will be a vulnerable communicable diseases, so considering this our government should take initiatives in the form of preventive healthcare
2. Secondly, I wish there should be a mass redevelopment of housing projects especially in slum areas.Eg: Dharavi in Mumbai has now became the hotbed for the virus to spread and this should not be happen in future. Covid 19 is a wakeup call to all politicians, corporate and policymakers that preventive infrastructure and healthier environment is a much needed one.
Thank you!

1 Like

The global pandemic has overwhelmed healthcare systems of most developed countries, including the ones with state-of-the-art infrastructure as was the case with Europe and the USA. India with a population of over 1.3 billion has been working towards pre-empting such a situation from occurring. India’s tally of patients infected with the novel Coronavirus has crossed four lakhs and the death toll at around 14900. Globally over 9.5 million people have been infected.

1 Like