Nurses 2.0 - The digital transformation of nursing

Digital innovation is becoming increasingly important for clinical practice, not only as a method for controlling the workforce but as a framework for transforming the way treatment is provided. Healthcare IT News talked to Abu Dhabi Health Services senior nursing IT officer, Hana Abu Sharib and University of Eastern Finland’s professor of health and human services informatics, Dr Kaija Saranto, to find out exactly how nurses and midwives lead the digital transformation.

In order to improve patient care, nurses and midwives have played a key role in leading the digital and informatics field, especially in the COVID environment where the quality of digital care delivery has been at the forefront of healthcare and under more scrutiny than ever.

Nurses and midwives continue to lead the digital transformation and use informatics to strengthen patient care with the increasing increase in digitalisation.

Nurses and midwives understand the importance of this change and the significance of education and training in health informatics, as Abu Sharib commented: "RN level and specialized nursing informatics roles are adopted by many nurses and discussed for many criteria for clinical documentation or technology adoption as they have advanced expertise in this area.

"After the pandemic, nurse informatics teams were engaged in training focused on clinical requirements for various EMR applications and nurse moving cross-settings (ED-OPD-Inpatient) systems. They were also very involved in creating feedback forms for nursing and resolving the influx of patients during the crisis. They were validating the reports and the dashboard from a data perspective, "explains Abu Sharib.

Saranto also highlighted the value of nursing participation as a way to maximize cooperation between health professionals: "Whatever the model, I agree that nurses and midwives should be involved right from the start, and I would like to emphasize the importance of cooperation between all expert groups.

Abu Sharib concludes: "My hopes are to build capacity on nurse informatics for designated roles in nursing staff and to improve the use of nursing informatics in the innovation of nursing practices based on process improvement and improving patient outcomes." Read More In The Source